Tuesday, February 2, 2016

My newest project, a new quilt design.......

I have been pretty sporadic at posting on my blog since before Christmas.  The main reason is, I've been working on different projects and mainly I've been working on a new quilt design.  Here are some sneak peaks at my attempts at making the "perfect" block.

First, to cut the correct angle for the half square triangle part of the block. I was using Fons and Porters Half and Quarter Square Triangle Ruler.  It came in handy.

Then, what colors do I want to do the half square triangle to be?  I have some pink and cream for a nice contrast.

Oh, Then add a 60 degree triangle in a nice scale print.  I like the green floral print for this.  Do you see a kite?  Excellant!  That is the part of the block design that I started with.

Then, put the first 2 blocks together.  Hmmmm.....not sure I like what happened on the corners of the pink and cream half square triangles.

Next attempt for all 4 of the blocks when I put them together.  Nope, looks like a did a bad piecing job.  The judges would point that out at a quilt show.  Don't want that.

Also tried to use green and a different light on the outer pieces instead of the same dark.  Green is my choice here.  For the design I am going for, the 2 different colors won't work for my design.  What design?  Oh, you will have to be very patient for me to reveal the whole look of the quilt.  I can say, there are 2 design elements that come to play once the blocks are pieced together into a quilt.  You will have to wait............lol

Ok, after many attempts at making the block so that the points of the pinwheel are perfect, I am close with this version of the block with 4 blocks pieced together.  Mind you, I started with the kite, put 4 blocks together and what happened?  I have a pinwheel in the center.  Isn't it amazing how you can spin a block in different directions to get a totally different design?  You can do the same with your choice of fabrics.  It can make a pattern look totally different than another one.

Next step is going fabric shopping (oh I hate that) and see if I can come up with colors and designs of fabrics that is something close to the fabrics that I have used in my sample blocks.  I really like these fabrics for this quilt, but I was using fat quarters from my stash that I sometimes use for making sample blocks.

You will have to hang in there to see what I come up with.  More to follow in the next months. Stay tuned.

What are your newest projects?  Cleaning up your UFO's?  Something new?  Organization in your sewing/quilting space?  Share here if you like.  I would love to see what you are working on.

Happy quilting!
Glenda



No comments:

Post a Comment