Friday, July 17, 2015

And what do we discover while quilting?

A little bit of progress on this quilt top today.  After ripping out several blocks and putting different colored blocks where they were.  I am a lot happier with this layout of colors than before.

What did I discover?  Well, this quilt top would have been beautiful the way it was before I took those blocks out and put different colored blocks in their place.  Would anyone have noticed that it didn't quite balance?  Probably not.  Does it make me happier with the results?  Definitely.

Will it make a difference in how it turns out?  No.  If you like the yellows and golds, I think you would love it anyway.

Know what else I have discovered?  My design wall is not big enough!  Unfortunately, short of taking it to the stairway, I don't have any other place to do this.  So, I will work with the space that I have and be very happy that I at least have this much room.  It only makes it sometimes challenging in the layout process of putting blocks together to make a large quilt top.

I have 2 more columns put together for each side of this top.  Once I get them on, I will hang it to see what size it is and visually look at it to see if I need to add any more rows or columns.  I want it to be at least queen sized, but need to be careful not to make it giant sized.

Have you ever been designing a quilt top and just gone with it until you get the size you want?  I do that all the time.

While this design is somewhat copied from one of Bonnie Hunter's books, I still put my design and spin on it.  I rarely follow a pattern.  While her quilt was made in blues and with 1-1/2" finished blocks, mine is using some 2" finished blocks because I had more 2-1/2" scrap blocks than 2".  She got more of the squares on point in the design than I will.

I just noticed that I have a 4-patch in each corner.  This would be a good place to finish, but I want this quilt to be a little bit wider, so I will continue on.

What are your projects for the weekend?  It's going to be too hot to be outside much, so I will be in my studio working (playing).

Have a great weekend!

Happy quilting!
Glenda


No comments:

Post a Comment