Monday, July 27, 2015

 I was busy working on my scrap quilt over the weekend.  I put it on the quilting frame early Saturday morning.  It is Huge!  Or so it seems on the frame laying there all stretched out.  I am liking the colors in this quilt more and more.  I wasn't sure about the yellows and golds, but I had that fabric on hand that was gifted to me from a friend.  It was the only color that I had enough random colors to do this quilt, and since this was going to be a scrap quilt, I wanted to use other fabrics that I had on hand.

The quilt pattern is from More Adventures with Leaders and Enders book by Bonnie Hunter.  (I think that is the right book), Nanganset Blues?  Only I did this one with 2-1/2" squares, 4-1/2" x 8-1/2" bricks and so forth.  So my quilt seems much larger than Bonnie's, just because of the larger squares. 

I have done the 2" 4-patches and the borders so far.  A simple x through the blocks and a pretty flowery border, then a pumpkin seed in the last small border.  I'm almost to the bottom of the quilt as of last night.  I am still not sure what I am going to quilt in the gold bricks or the very center of the quilt.  So far I am thinking some sort of feathers in the bricks.  It looks reproduction, so I want to keep it simple to stay with the period it reflects.  Any ideas?

It is going to be a beautiful addition to my personal quilt collection, I think.  I don't really think I can bring myself to selling this one.  :)

And in the middle of the weekend, guess what I found in the garden?



Jeff swears it is a garden snake.  He was pretty fat, but no longer than about 12-15" as far as I could tell in the dark.  Yes, I said dark.  I spotted him/her with my phone flashlight while I was out with my dog, Lucy, just before bedtime last night.

It is all I can do to let this creature live.  I don't like snakes......AT ALL!  There was another one that was a little different color that slithered across my foot on Friday night that I chased into the neighbors yard.  I know, not nice of me.  But I nearly hurt myself when it went across my foot!  Jeff says they are good for the garden and yard, that they eat pests and creatures in the garden.  Really?  From the looks of our garden, I don't think the snake(s) are keeping up their end of the bargain.  Geesh!  Makes me shiver to just think about it.  And, yes, I had shoes on both encounters with the snakes in the yard.

What pests make you scream or react in ways you don't normally come across?

Leave the creatures to take care of the other pests in your yard.  They are all God's creatures.


Have a wonderful quilting day/week ahead!

Glenda


No comments:

Post a Comment